MICROSCOPY FACILITY CALL
This funding call aims to enable facility managers to enhance the capabilities of their systems through hardware and software upgrades.
Scope of Prize
To support our Microscopy Facilities in Scotland and the excellent research they enable, we will be running a Microscopy Facility Funding Call. This fund supports the enhancement of capabilities within your microscope facility.
Successful applications will clearly show how this enhancement will directly impact specific research outputs. You can apply for up to £20,000 on enhancements on hardware or software. Applications will be viewed favorably if they can show how members from other SULSA Universities will benefit from this enhancement.
To apply you must have submitted information to the SMS Facilities Database by the deadline, 30th of September 2020. If your submission fell out with this deadline you will be able to apply for the second round of funding in the Autumn of 2021.
- The lead applicant must work within the facility i.e. facility manager or technician.
- The lead facility must be open-access, meaning that anyone from any University can access this equipment. We expect that facilities will charge for the use of this equipment.
- All applicants must be employed within a SULSA member university.
- Demonstration of the benefit for Universities out with your own.
- Ability to show how this funding could leverage further investment.
Funding Information & Conditions
- Up to £20,000 is available per application. The SULSA award is for the purchasing of new equipment (hardware or software) and should enhance capability, not be for the maintenance or upkeep of equipment.
- You must have submitted your information to the SMS Facilities Database by 30th September 2020 to apply for this fund. If you submitted after this date you are not eligible to apply no but can apply for the next round of funding in Autumn 2021.
- Between 1 – 3 projects will be awarded, depending on the amount requested for suitable applications.
- We expect that funds will be awarded in May 2021.
- Funds will be awarded to the lead applicant’s institution.
- Updates on the collaboration will be provided to SULSA as and when requested. SULSA reserves the right to clawback funds not used in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- A short report (template will be provided) to be submitted to SULSA after the collaboration project has ended summarising the outputs. Industry partners must agree to this prior to the award being funded.
- The novelty, innovative nature and need for the enhancement
- The impact of the potential research outputs
- Project feasibility
- Potential to leverage further funding
- Sustainability plan for the continued upkeep or development of the equipment requested
- Engagement with the wider Scottish Microscopy Community and other SULSA member Universities
Submitting Your Application:
Please submit your application (all documents merged into a single PDF) to email@example.com at SULSA by 5pm on Thursday 1st April 2021.
Notification of Outcome:
Successful applications will be notified by email before 1st May 2021.
Payment of Funds:
If successful, funds will be transferred to your lead Institution. Funds must be spent within 12 months of the date of transfer. Upon request funds can be divided up between applicant’s host institutions.
You must provide the SULSA administration with project updates and outcomes when requested for reporting purposes. If this project leads to a published article, or leverages grant funding, please contact the SULSA administration to make them aware.
How to Apply
CALL NOW CLOSED.