SULSA ECR PRIZE
Awarding outstanding early career scientists whose work shows excellent potential to make an impact in the field of life sciences.
SULSA ECR Prize Information Session
Scope of Prize
SULSA wish to award outstanding early career scientists whose work shows excellent potential to make an impact in the field of life sciences.
This prize allows exceptional postdocs to raise their profile in Scotland and have a prestigious award on their CV. It includes a fully-funded tour (£1,000) of three Scottish Universities where the awardee will deliver a seminar and meet with staff in order to raise their profile around Scotland, and develop their independent networks.
In addition, the awardee will receive £1,000 of flexible funding to be used at their discretion for attending conferences, buying consumables, attending training courses or visiting collaborators etc.
- Applicants must be a postdoctoral researcher in the life sciences and hold a PhD (within 8 years of PhD completion)
- Applicants must be based at a SULSA institution and work in a PI’s laboratory
- This award is not suitable for researchers who are setting up their own laboratory
- Applicants must have 12 months remaining on their contract/current funding from the 31st July 2023 (a letter from your supervisor stating your contract is likely to be extended will be accepted)
- Applicants can self-nominate
There will be a winner for each of the following SULSA areas of interest:
Applicants will be judged on:
- Research Vision
- Scientific merit and potential
- Publication output and grant funding
- Research impact such as public engagement, policy work, knowledge exchange, other impact
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to present a 3-minute thesis style presentation via Zoom to our judging panel. You must be available to present on Tuesday 6th June and Wednesday 7th June 2023 (your allocated slot will be confirmed after shortlisted candidates have been selected). If you are unable to attend, you cannot be considered.
Key Dates and Important Information
- Call Opens: Wednesday 22nd March 2023
- Application Deadline: Thursday 18th May 2023 (extended from original date)
- Applicants Informed of Outcome: by w/c 29th May 2023
- SULSA ECR Prize Virtual Presentations: Tuesday 6th June and Wednesday 7th June 2023
- ECR Prize University Tour – to take place before 31st July 2024
Submitting Your Application
Applicants must submit their application (merged into a single PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org at SULSA by 5pm on Thursday 18th May 2023.
Notification of Outcome
Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email by w/c 29th May 2023.
Organisation of Tour
If successful, you will manage the organisation and logistics of your seminar tour. SULSA will be available to help with introductions where required.
Payment of Funds
If successful, funds will be transferred to your Institution and must be spent by 31 July 2024.
You must provide SULSA with project updates and outcomes when requested for reporting purposes.
How to Apply
Call now closed.