SULSA ECR PRIZE
Awarding outstanding early career scientists
Scope of Prize
SULSA wish to award outstanding early career scientists whose work shows excellent potential to make an impact in the field of life sciences.
This prize allows exceptional postdocs to raise their profile in Scotland and have a prestigious award on their CV. It includes a fully-funded tour of three Scottish Universities where the awardee will deliver a seminar and meet with staff in order to raise their profile around Scotland, and develop their independent networks.
In addition, the awardee will receive £2,000 of flexible funding to be used at their discretion for attending conferences, buying consumables, attending training courses or visiting collaborators etc.
- Applicants must be a postdoctoral researcher in the life sciences and hold a PhD
- Applicants must be based at a SULSA institution and work in a PI’s laboratory
- This award is not suitable for researchers who are setting up their own laboratory
- Applicants must have 12 months remaining on their contract/current funding from the 1st December 2021
- Applicants can self-nominate
There will be a winner for each of our four SULSA themes:
- Development and Regulation (includes fundamental disease-related research)
- Technology & Analysis
- Understanding and Treating Disease (includes clinical and pre-clinical research)
Applicants will be judged on:
- Research Vision
- Scientific merit and potential
- Publication output and grant funding
- Research impact such as public engagement, policy work, knowledge exchange, other impact
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to present a 3-minute thesis style presentation via Zoom to our judging panel. You must be available to present on either Wednesday 23rd or Thursday 24th February 2022. If you are unable to attend, you cannot be considered.
Key Dates & Helpful Information
- Call Opens: Wednesday 10th November 2021
- Application Deadline: Wednesday 8th December 2021
- Applicants Informed of Outcome: Wednesday 2nd February 2022
- SULSA ECR Prize Presentations: Wednesday 23rd and Thursday 24th February 2022
Please note, applicants must be available to present on either Wednesday 23rd or Thursday 24th February 2022
Organisation of Tour
If successful, you will manage the organisation and logistics of your seminar tour. SULSA will be available to help with introductions where required.
Payment of Funds
If successful, funds will be transferred to your Institution and must be spent by the end of 2022.
You must provide SULSA with project updates and outcomes when requested for reporting purposes.
Download a copy of the SULSA ECR Prize Guidelines
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 5pm on Wednesday 8th December 2021
How to Apply: Complete the SULSA ECR Prize Application Form and e-mail your completed application (all required documents merged into a single PDF file) to Jill.Inkster@glasgow.ac.uk before the above deadline
For more information, please contact the SULSA Senior Operations Officer Jill.Inkster@glasgow.ac.uk